Below is some information we thought would help you in preparing for your travels.  If you have questions that we have not addressed call us at 1-800-930-2003 or send an email at and we will do our best to answer your questions.

Border Crossing / Customs
  • Canada Border Services Agency - this website offers an array of information such as travel tips, information for Non-Canadian visitors, arriving in Canada, entry requirements, publications and forms.
  • Food Restrictions - food restrictions change all the time.  To find out the latest restrictions you can access the Government of Canada website  To contact the Fort Frances customs call 1-807-274-3655 or the Rainy River Customs at 1-807-852-3341.
  • Passports -a s of June 1, 2009 all US bound travellers are required to produce a valid passport in order to enter into the United States.  You can purchase the traditional passport book or a passport card; both are equally accepted at land border crossings. To find out more check out this website:
  • Criminal Record Information - visitors to Canada who have been convicted of any crime including impaired driving (DUI) may be denied entry into Canada. Depending on the nature of the offence, the time elapsed and your behaviour since it was committed or since you were sentenced, you may no longer be considered inadmissible to Canada.  You may be permitted to come to Canada if:
  1. you are able to satisfy an immigration officer that you meet the legal requirements to be deemed rehabilitated; or
  2. you have applied for rehabilitation and your application has been approved; or
  3. you have obtained a pardon; or
  4. As of March 1, 2012 you may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without having to pay the C$200 processing fee if you have served no jail time and have committed no other acts that would prevent you from entering Canada.

To find out more on rehabilitation for persons who are inadmissible to Canada because of past criminial activity visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

If you need assistance navigating this information you can call NOTO for "free" at 1-800-665-5787.  Explain your situation and they will be glad to help you. 

  • Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form - for a Non-Resident to bring firearms across the border you are required to fill out a "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration".  You can fill this form out when you arrive at Customs or have it completed before you come to save time.  To print the forms visit the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website at **NOTE: These forms need to be printed on legal sized paper.

  • Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada - here is some basic information about bringing a fireare, or other items regulated by the Firearms Act, into Canada
Licenses, dues and fees
  • Non-Resident Outdoors Card -Effective January 1, 2009 a non-resident outdoors card is required to purchase Ontario hunting tags and fishing licences.  The Outdoors card is a plactic, wallet sized identification card issued by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources to accompany your Ontario non-resident hunting licence tag(s).  The hunting version Non-Resident Outdoors Card and the Non-resident Temporary Hunting Outdoors Card prove your eligibility to purchase hunting licence tags.  You must carry your Outdoors Card or your Non-resident temporary hunting outdoors card with you whenever you hunt or fish in Ontario.

You can purchase your Outdoors Card on line  or you can purchase an Outdoors Card at either of the Bait and Tackle Stores in Nestor Falls.  All you need is a previous Ontario non-resident's hunting licence or if you have never hunted in Ontario you can bring proof of a hunting licence issued by your state from a previous year.  If you have an older card that is currently not in use, bring that as the Ministry may require physical proof and your card may be sent to the Ministry then mailed back to you with your Non-Resident Outdoors card.

Once you are issued a Non-resident Outdoors Card you are still required to purchase your fishing licence in which no previous proof is necessary.

Please call us if you need clarification 1-800-930-2003 or check out the Ministry of Natural Resources site at

  • As of September 15, 2009 all operators (resident or non-resident) of a motorized watercraft in Canada are required to show proof of compentency. Proof of compentency can include the successful completion of a boating safety course in Canada (Pleasure Craft Operator Card), a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators approved boater card or the completion of a Rental Boat Safety Checklist upon your arrival to Big Pine Lake Camp.  You can check to see if your National Association of State Boating Law Administrator approved card is acceptable in Canada at

Contact Us

Neil & Krista Olson
P.O. Box 100
Nestor Falls, Ont. Canada